- People are shown three (3) TV ads.
- Everyone gets a brain scan! (I'm assuming in a presentation a la Oprah).
- They're asked to rate the ads in order of effectiveness.
- Consensus is A [most], then B, then C [least].
- Their respective brains sigh in exasperation, and tell the scanning machine that no, the order is actually C-B-A, and that these people are pretty much clueless about themselves.
- Follow-up data on the effectiveness of the ads in the real world show that "ad C" indeed resulted in the strongest response.
- (Brains probably sigh again, knowing that this pattern will likely repeat itself in the future.)
Original post over here: http://www.psypost.org/2012/04/which-ads-are-winners-your-brain-knows-better-than-you-do-11355